August 25, 2026

Spider-Man: Brand New Day

Four years ago I watched Spider-Man: No Way Home and wrote "What a sad tragic slog of a movie that was."  Kind of like Avengers: Infinity War, they put our hero in the worst possible place, to give him somewhere to go in the next movie. The only problem with that is, I was so mad I didn't want to see this movie, just like I didn't want to see Endgame. Well, I saw Endgame only because my whole office went to see it together, and I only saw BND because my family all liked it and my son (see photo) wanted to take me. So I went.

All about loss, loneliness, and trauma, BND was a good ride. The antagonist's story fits nicely with the themes of the movie. Tom Holland feels and looks older than his high school Peter Parker of movies past. They fixed another of my gripes with No Way Home (and a lot of Marvel movies): it does not look like it was shot on green screen, and Peter's Spidey-suit looks like an actual fabric costume that exists in the real world, not painted-on CGI nonsense.

There's at least two big surprises in the movie, depending on how you count, both of which felt earned and normal, and surprisingly, most of the lightness comes from the buddy comedy with one of the darkest characters in Marvel - the Punisher.

My only gripe: as the movie begins, Parker has been living alone in NYC for four years while his former friends Ned and MJ are away at MIT. He has told no one about the magic curse that erased the world's memories of him. I understand that he's scared to spill the beans to Ned or MJ because their friendship means so much to him, but there's at least two former friends of his he could approach and explain his story, who could believe him: Bruce Banner and Doctor Strange. For someone utterly alone in the world, it seems like a small gamble to approach his former Avenger friends and rebuild those relationships?

The last Marvel movie I loved without qualification was Endgame. Since then, they've made FIFTEEN Marvel movies, I saw 11 of them, and liked maybe 2 or 3. If I didn't have young kids, I wouldn't have seen any of them. No one knows how many TV shows they've made. I probably like She Hulk better than any movie they made in the last six years. Long-story-short, Marvel is in free-fall, I have low expectations for their Universe, I don't want to see Doomsday this fall, but I will probably have to take my kids. (with Peter in the newly-renovated Triplex Theater 2)