Unless I want to set a ignominious record, I need to go to the movies at least five times in September, October, November, and December. So what's coming up this fall? I reviewed the upcoming slate and there's seven strong candidates coming up. Here they are ranked by likelihood I will see them:
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story looks so great I may see it twice!
- Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them looks like a slam dunk.
- Moana looks like fun, so maybe I'll get to take my boy to see it;
- The Girl on the Train: The television commercial gave me goosebumps!
- The Birth of a Nation: Looks heavy but it's getting great reviews.
- All I know about Passengers is it stars Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt, and the premise is right up my alley: "A spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet and transporting thousands of people has a malfunction in its sleep chambers. As a result, two passengers are awakened 60 years early."
- The Jack Reacher sequel: the first Jack Reacher was okay on home video (I gave it a C-plus in 2014), but this sequel is directed by Edward Zwick, a legit director who previously directed Cruise in The Last Samurai; Zwick also directed the war movies Defiance , Courage Under Fire, and Glory. I also liked his melodrama Legends of the Fall.