August 2, 2017

L.A. Story

Parker wearing the most 1991
costume imaginable.
I am very fond of this movie so I popped it into the DVD player last night. It's an affectionate, absurd, silly satire of Los Angeles. Steve Martin wrote the movie and it's a treat to watch a feature that feels like it has his indelible stamp on it. I really noticed Steve Martin veering into neurotic Woody Allen territory at times, especially during his arguments with Sara (his IRL wife Victoria Tennant), but this is supposed to be a left-coast Manhattan, so that makes some sense. I also noticed again that the end of the movie is especially wifty: I can't tell if there's two Enya songs or the same one twice, but I guess it's appropriate for a movie about L.A. to become indulgent and self-important at the end.
This re-view also reaffirmed my feeling that -- much like rom-com masterpiece Four Weddings and a Funeral -- L.A. Story also succeeds despite the miscast lead actress. I said to my wife "Victoria Tennant is not very attractive and she doesn't jump off the screen...BUT maybe this movie wouldn't be so good with a better-looking actress?" and she shot back "no, she's got Resting Bitch Face and she can't act" so I felt a lot better about finding her contribution lacking.
It's rarely a good idea to cast your spouse to work opposite you in a movie, but it's especially grim when you are supposed to be falling in love, yet IRL you're divorced three years later.