February 18, 2017

John Wick Chapter 2

John Wick 2 truly f**king DELIVERED. They broke new ground, saw stuff I've never seen before:
  • Killing two guys with a pencil 
  • Reloading a shotgun while pressing the barrel against a guy's chest, then shooting him with it 
The sold out crowd loved it and was also amazed at the stunts. It's hard to describe their reactions.
Hard to believe it's been two years since I rented the original?
Moviegoing Notes
So many movies ignore all the times a gunman would need
to reload: Wick turns reloading into an integral part of
the action!
This is only the third time I've ever seen a sequel in the theater without seeing the original in the theater too. That's often the hallmark of a home video success:
  • For example, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery did not sell a lot of tickets but became a smash hit on VHS and DVD. I first saw that film on home video (I did see it at the Brattle Theater in 1999 after its sequel came out.)
  • Twice I've seen sequels in the theater because friends wanted to go out; I've never seen Legally Blonde, but I saw Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, and Blonde with my friend Michelle in 2003.
  • When I was 19 I saw The Godfather Part III with a bunch of high school friends...even though I hadn't seen the first two movies yet.
There are other cases besides Godfather III where the original came out when I was too young to see it in the theater (e.g., The Terminator, Alien, Beverly Hills Cop). I'm not counting those because I didn't have the opportunity to see them in the theater.