August 20, 2016

Star Trek Beyond

Quality Star Trek story, even if the details are a bit hard to follow. A couple of lines of dialogue here and there were super clunky.
The chemistry between the leads is terrific, they really seem to be growing into their roles. The production design is outstanding; the best of the three new movies. I think they're trying too hard with the weirdly-shaped alien heads, but maybe that's just me. The Yorktown space station is crazy complicated, I think they cross the line from visually interesting to just plain old confusing, but it's hard to blame them for trying too hard when so many movies fall back on cliche. 
I found the cinematography dizzying. The director seems to be obsessed with rotating the camera around in barrel rolls like an old-timey barnstormer. (Somerville Theater Screen 2)
RELATED: For my complete history, see To Boldly Go To The Theater To See Star Trek