August 26, 2016

Off The Pace: Fall Movie Preview

As August comes to a conclusion, I've done the math: I only went to the movies eight times so far in 2016. That puts me on track to see 12 or 11 movies in 2016, an historic low.
Unless I want to set a ignominious record, I need to go to the movies at least five times in September, October, November, and December. So what's coming up this fall? I reviewed the upcoming slate and there's seven strong candidates coming up. Here they are ranked by likelihood I will see them:
  1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story looks so great I may see it twice!
  2. Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them looks like a slam dunk.
  3. Moana looks like fun, so maybe I'll get to take my boy to see it;
  4. The Girl on the Train: The television commercial gave me goosebumps!
  5. The Birth of a Nation: Looks heavy but it's getting great reviews.
  6. All I know about Passengers is it stars Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt, and the premise is right up my alley: "A spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet and transporting thousands of people has a malfunction in its sleep chambers. As a result, two passengers are awakened 60 years early."
  7. The Jack Reacher sequel: the first Jack Reacher was okay on home video (I gave it a C-plus in 2014), but this sequel is directed by Edward Zwick, a legit director who previously directed Cruise in The Last Samurai; Zwick also directed the war movies Defiance , Courage Under Fire, and Glory. I also liked his melodrama Legends of the Fall.

Twelve Weeks Later UPDATE

Expect the unexpected, I guess: since I wrote the above post in late August, I have been to the movies five times to bring my 2016 total to 13, BUT I haven't seen any of the above 7 films. Instead I saw Kubo & The Two Strings, Blazing Saddles (RIP Gene Wilder), Eight Days a Week, Arrival, and The Clock (again). I'm optimistic that I'll get to see Rogue One and Fantastic Beasts. Moana is a stretch goal for 2016.