February 20, 2016

Deadpool

I was on the fence about seeing Deadpool. I like Ryan Reynolds- his comedy Best Friends with Amy Smart and Anna Faris is an underrated gem - but I didn't really know or care about this character, beyond his appearance in the mediocre X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie.
Then, the Monday after it came out, two friends recommended the movie. Two female friends. They both said it was funny, and super-violent, and there's lots of nudity. Word-of-mouth counts for a lot: if someone goes out of their way to say how good a movie is, go see that movie!
So I went to see it and really enjoyed it. The action sequences are exciting, inventive, and funny too. In two parts I laughed harder than I have laughed in the movies for a long time:

  • When Deadpool breaks both hands trying to punch Colossus
  • When the cab driver Dopinder reveals he's abducted his romantic rival and Deadpool secretly congratulates him.

I really enjoyed the Colossus character. He's a total goody-goody in the body of an unstoppable giant. His seemingly endless supply of patience with Deadpool, and his old-fashioned gentlemanliness when Angel Dust pops out of her top, are both charming.

My Issues:
The pacing felt weird - I am not sure the flashback-flashforward format helped make the movie better, except as a vehicle for adding more funny Deadpool voiceover. I appreciate that his true love for Vanessa is the engine that drives Deadpool's quest for vengeance, but their courtship scenes bogged down the momentum.

The villain Ajax, aka Francis, (Ed Skrein) was a real jerk, but he was completely anonymous-looking, and his only mutant powers seemed to be strength and regeneration, the most boring of all.

His hench-woman Angel Dust (Gina Carano) was authentically tough-looking, but again, her mutant powers seem to be "stronger than Colossus" and I don't know what else.

I enjoyed the indifferent grouchiness of Negasonic Teenage Warhead (newcomer Brianna Hildebrand), but I am not sure what her powers actually do? I agree with Deadpool when he hears her name "Negasonic Teenage... what the shit? That's the coolest name ever!"

My grade: A-minus
February 20, with Adam at Woburn