December 11, 2015

In The Heart of the Sea

Good movie, but not what I was expecting. A movie of survival, not a "we're going to catch and kill this white whale" movie. It was pretty spectacular seeing the white whale that inspired Moby-Dick created with 21st century special effects.
Chris Hemsworth's accent is all over the place. At times it verged into a Mark Wahlberg Southie Boston accent! I couldn't place where I'd seen Benjamin Walker before- I kept reminding myself 'he's NOT Eric Bana, he just looks like him' - so it turns out I haven't seen him before, but he played the title role in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter!
Ben Whishaw plays Herman Melville - it must be a great feeling to star in two big movies playing in adjacent theaters: Whishaw plays "Q" in SPECTRE without the beard. Speaking of beards, my favorite part of the whole film might be Brendan Gleeson's performance, especially his thick, lustrous beard.
AMC Burlington with Emily, instead of going to my company holiday party!