August 8, 2015

Shaun The Sheep Movie

A big surprising disappointment. The animated children's show is easily the best and most enjoyable kids show I watch with my son: from the Aardman team that created Wallace & Gromit and Chicken Run, each Shaun The Sheep story is 6-8 minutes long, with no dialog, featuring the adventures of a flock of misbehaving sheep and their clueless owner on his little farm in the English countryside. How did they go wrong? They strayed from the formula that made Shaun The Sheep so endearing- the farmer gets amnesia and moves to London, and the flock goes to the big city to find him and rescue him. As a result, all the characters are removed from the farm for most of the movie, and the sheep are separated from the farmer for almost the whole thing. Don't mess with success, I say. I am amazed that a show that my son and I have enjoyed for many years was adapted into a movie that my son didn't like all that much and he hasn't asked to see it again. Oh well. Stub Hubby grade: C