What a funny fucking movie! I was laughing out loud throughout.
- It's hard-R-rated, so the jokes are very rough, and worth it.
- There's real action sequences, including car chases and hand-to-hand combat. Not Bourne Supremacy good, but much better than most comedies.
- The A-list supporting cast is perfect: Jude Law finally gets to play James Bond, Miranda Hart is wonderful as the best friend, and Jason Statham might overplay the jokes a little bit.
- Wonderful location shooting- another plus you normally don't see in a comedy.
- Great interior locations too- a decrepit Paris apartment building and a disused power plant control room are the standouts.
Stub Hubby Grade- I'm giving SPY an A-minus instead of an A because:
- I figured out the third act twist immediately;
- The fat-and-ugly jokes are all very funny, but maybe it's time to set them aside? No one actually calls Melissa McCarthy "fat" but it's in the subtext of many jokes.