May 24, 2015

Guys Movie Night: MAD MAX - FURY ROAD

Patton Oswalt believes every sci fi nerd can be sorted into one of three classes: Zombie, Spaceship, or Wasteland. I am a strong dominant Spaceship nerd, but I appreciate a Wasteland story that explores a post-civilization world. I am a fan of the first three Mad Max movies, but I haven't seen them 100 times or anything like that. The Mad Max films are characterized by their terrific action sequences (although I don't remember any car chases in Beyond Thunderdome), totally insane production design, and a unique vision of the post-apocalyptic society.
Director George Miller is a curiosity in feature filmmaking- his first three feature films are the original Mad Max (1979) and its two sequels The Road Warrior (aka Mad Max 2) in 1981, and Beyond Thunderdome (1985). In the following 30 years he directed the following feature films:
  • The Witches of Eastwick (1987)
  • Lorenzo's Oil (1992)
  • Babe: A Pig In The City - he produced the original Babe movie but did not direct it (1998)
  • Two Happy Feet movies (2006 & 2011)
  • ...and that's it.
I don't intend to turn this into a biography, but I wanted to give you some context before I exclaim that Miller has lost none of his flair for the post-apocalyptic; the long-germinating FURY ROAD is a crackerjack thrill ride with the same vision, finely tuned action sequences, and inventive imagery we'd hope for, cranked up to 1,000. I kept marveling over how thrilling, well-constructed, and inventive the movie was, when not doing double-takes at all the totally batshit images of this beyond-civilization world Miller's created.
My Stub Hubby Grade: A! (AMC Burlington with George, Yuval, Angus, and Pete)