August 29, 2014

Ghostbusters 30th Anniversary

I have seen Ghostbusters dozens of times on television over the last 30 years, and at least once in a movie theater in 1984- we were on summer vacation in the Lakes region of Maine and I immediately fell in love with the movie (my mom not so much- she walked out around the time the roof blew off the firehouse.)
I have watched it on a taped-off-broadcast-television tape many times, then I bought the two-disc Criterion Collection Laser Disc (with a badass cover image) around 1994, then on DVD (bundled with Ghostbusters 2) in the last decade.
So, what's the difference? Why spend $13 to see a movie I can watch for free at home? I have already bought this movie twice, why keep paying for it?
Seeing Ghostbusters on a very big screen again was a special treat for two reasons:

Details, Details, Details

One of the advantages of seeing a good movie over and over, you can enjoy the little background details because you don't have to focus on the plot and dialog. The massive movie screen makes it possible to see so much detail that's really impossible to discern even on a LCD television with a DVD player. I can't imagine now, how blurry and incomplete my old pan-and-scan VHS taped off the TV copy was. I really appreciated all the little touches, the production design, and the background action.
The special effects look amazing. Ghostbusters was one of the first comedies of its era to actually spend money on effects- go watch Caddyshack or Animal House and you can see how cheap they were to produce, but Ghostbusters features terrific state-of-the-art effects. Thirty years later, only a few shots of the Terror Dog chasing Rick Moranis look phony.

The Audience

Watching a favorite movie, a movie you've only really seen at home is totally different and rewarding when seen with an audience. Where do the laughs come? This crowd was terrific, and they laughed in places I never noticed were funny, or even places that I didn't notice were jokes- When the mayor is considering believing the Ghostbusters story, Venkman reminds him that he has an opportunity to save the lives of "millions of registered voters." The movie cuts to the Archbishop who smiles and nods. This got a big laugh where I had never thought of it as more than a nice aside.

Theater Notes

AMC Boston Common, with George, Angus, and, sitting in a different row, Erin, Willy, et al. I go to the big movie chains so rarely I forget how nice it is to go to the Somerville Theater. AMC showed 20 minutes of trailers and commercials before the movie. The movie was scheduled for 9:05pm, but the movie didn't actually start until 9:25pm thanks to all this filler. I dislike this more and more the later and later the screening.
I wasn't sure whether the Friday of Labor Day weekend in Boston would be overrun with college kids and families, it turns out the town was very quiet. I drove from work in Lexington, and into a free parking space on Charles Street in 30 minutes. It was also easy to get a table for dinner at Fajitas & Ritas, and the AMC multiplex was very quiet at 8:45pm.