Marvel's The Avengers is pretty much perfect. An impressive feat considering the challenge of making a movie with four stars (or seven, depending on how you count). Congratulations to writer/director Joss Whedon and co-writer Zak Penn* for taking seven already defined characters, give them backstories, and mix them in a movie together, and make it work. With his track record on Firefly and Buffy, I should have known Whedon could make ensembles work, and anyone who's seen the Reaver-Alliance space battle scenes in Serenity knew the action would be airtight.
All-Time Domestic Box Office (Adjusted for Inflation). That's 49,000,000 tickets sold for $389,000,000, right in between Terminator 2 and Indiana Jones 3. This chart does not count the hundreds of millions earned overseas.
NOTE: Zak Penn (born 1968) is the least-known creative person who I've never heard of in the comic movie world. (did that make any sense?) He wrote the story or screenplay for The Last Action Hero, Inspector Gadget, X-Men 2, Elektra, X-Men: The Last Stand (aka X-Men 3), and The Incredible Hulk.
Other Marvel Superhero Movies I've Seen, (not already hotlinked above)
- I wanted to go on opening night to enjoy the full house reactions to the movie. Be prepared for the dark side of opening night too!
- Always print your ticket in advance.
- I keep saying 3D never again. Maybe it'll stick this time.
- Never go to Boston Common again, at least not on the weekend.
- Drink lots of water before drinking so much tequila.