January 23, 2012

136: Dove Tail

Sometimes two songs fit together perfectly. Sometimes this is pure chance, sometimes I place songs in a certain order for conscious reasons, sometimes for reasons I can't explain. Somehow, when I chose to place "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens right after "Glory" by Liz Phair, I made a perfect dovetail fit. The end of one and the beginning of another complement each other so well. What an exciting way to start this mix.
  1. "Glory" Liz Phair
  2. "Chicago" Sufjan Stevens
  3. "Break Me" This Lemonheads song is from Evan Dando's scattershot final album before bottoming out on drugs, Car Button Cloth. The song is underwritten but has its moments.
  4. "Rearviewmirror" [live] I was at this epic Pearl Jam show, at the Orpheum Theater April 12, 1994.
  5. "Live With Me" [live] The Rolling Stones, from Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!
  6. "Evangeline" Just when it seems I've put every song from Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend on a mix already, I find this one.
  7. "The Ballad of El Goodo" I only began listening to Big Star about a decade ago, and I've come to appreciate them, if not love them.
  8. "Blood and Roses" The Smithereens
  9. "Chains of Love" A nice little Ryan Adams song, from his mellow new album Ashes & Fire.
  10. "Chasing Pavements" My sister-in-law Sara was my Secret Santa this year. She got me both of Adele's CDs, plus her live DVD!
  11. "Philosophy" Ben Folds Five I just heard Ben Folds perform this song on The Nerdist podcast this week.
  12. "Valerie Plame" I fell in love with The Decemberists The King Is Dead last year, now I'm discovering some of their previous music.
  13. "How'd You Like That" The Kooks are perfecting some mid-80s Britpop.
  14. "Running Up That Hill" [extended 12" single version] Kate Bush
  15. "I'm Looking Through You" Roberta Flack
  16. "Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid" Daryl Hall & John Oates