I have complained that Lucas's complete creative control over the Star Wars franchise has completely smothered the whole universe. His stranglehold over the characters has prevented anything interesting or daring from happening to the series. Instead we got three terrific movies, a sixteen-year gap, then three very well-executed and polite, but lifeless "prequels." I would have preferred a wild, daring failure to a comatose failure.
Maybe Star Wars would have ended up like James Bond: some good, some bad, but immortal and evolving.
OR, maybe Lucas's stale, airless prequels are the best possible outcome? WE WILL NEVER KNOW.
Related on STUB HUBBY
- Phantom Menace review 
- Attack of the Clones review 
- Revenge of the Sith review 
- Commentary: Best and Most Successful Sequels of All Time
- Commentary: Summer Sequels & Remakes: The Worst
- Stub Hubby List Simply Disarming: Limbs (Original and Robotic) Removed in the Star Wars Movies
- 1970s Hubby Perspective: The Death of Obi-Wan Kenobi