July 24, 2011

Horrible Bosses

A madcap, screwball comedy. Extremely rough around the edges, a messy third act, and some underbaked character development, but I was laughing out loud through the whole thing.

Charlie Day steals the movie from Jason Bateman and Jason Sudeikis. I've only seen a little of his TV show, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, but I guess I should check it out?
Of the three horrible bosses, I wish there had been more of Colin Farrell. I found him hilarious in In Bruges, and he's great here. He didn't need the ridiculous bald-cap, comb-over appliance on his head- that was just distracting.
The couple next to me, were completely silent all the way through. I think it was a bit racier than they expected? There was no sign of Rachel from Friends in Aniston's performance.
My grade: B-plus. Wait to watch it on demand, you'll be glad you did.
TRAILER NOTES: The trailer for Final Destination 5 starts with a woman getting zapped in the face by a Lasik machine. That was too gross to watch (I hid behind my hat), but the rest of the trailer was hi-LAR-ious. During a catastrophic bridge collapse, David Koechner (Champ Kind from Anchorman) is hanging on for dear life. Why would you cast Todd Packer from The Office in a horror movie? Anyway, there he is, hanging onto the edge of certain death, when a tanker truck full of... wait for it... boiling hot tar overturns all over him. Didn't they do that to Homer on The Simpsons once? I had to laugh out loud. (I am certain the couple next to me thought I was a sociopath.)
(Showcase Cinema Du Lux, Dedham)