June 19, 2009

The Hangover

I had a great time at this good but not great morning-after comedy, from the director of Old School. The Hangover is much improved by a great audience. Way to go, Somerville Theater crowd! I missed at least half the dialog thanks to the excited and actively engaged audience. When I saw Wedding Crashers at Boston Common in 2005, the sold-out theater was a big bonus to the entertainment value of the movie. I am also reminded of the great crowd at the Somerville Theater for The Simpsons Movie in 2007.

As the credits rolled, I had an epiphany: my Oscar Night costume will be as Best Newcomer nominee Zach Galifianakis's character Allan, complete with beard, dark sunglasses, and baby Carlos!
Big shoutout to our friends, who showed up in force, considering the extremely short notice: my wife sent the initial email to the group at 8:52 a.m. Ten hours and 53 minutes later, we had seven people join us! A wonderful time was had by all. (Somerville Theater [main theater], with Emily, Sarah, Kim, Amy, Mandy, Kathy, Penny, Tom, and two beers)