|My first, best rock & roll collage from high school|
After placing those issues aside, but before dropping them in the recycling bin, I leafed through the stack: about a dozen issues, all from 1985-1989. This quick skim inspired some MP3 purchases from that era (see below).
Another side-effect of packing? A slew of new music discoveries. Since I hardly ever hear new music on the radio, I tend to find new music on the RCN Music Choice channel: Adult Alternative. And when do I listen to this channel? When packing boxes!
- "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" by Vampire Weekend is my wife's new ringtone.
- "All Around the World Or The Myth of Fingerprints" [demo], Paul Simon
- "On A Night Like This" Los Lobos (from the movie soundtrack Masked and Anonymous)
- "Take The Joker & Run" Steve Miller Band: I found a special re-release of Miller's Fly Like An Eagle, which includes several outtakes, including this one. It's a early version of "Take The Money & Run", but the arrangement is exactly like "The Joker". It's really funny and odd to hear it like that!
- "Waiting for a Miracle" Bruce Cockburn
- "Real Love" Lucinda Williams
- "Smoking Gun" Robert Cray Band
- "Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters" Elton John (I just bought his album Honky Chateau, and re-discovered this great song.)
- "People Got A Lotta Nerve" Neko Case
- "Satellite" The Hooters
- "Trashcan" Delta Spirit
- "Lips Like Sugar" Echo & The Bunnymen
- "The Big Bang Theory (Theme)" Live in Concert, Barenaked Ladies
- "Mykonos" Fleet Foxes
- "Hurt Feelings" Flight of the Conchords
- "Folsom Prison Blues" Merle Haggard & The Strangers: I like putting together the faux badasses of FotC next to the faux badass of this song.
- "I Know" [live] Pat McGee
- "I Want to Make The World Turn Around" I had completely forgotten this Steve Miller Band song until I read a review of the LP in my old Rolling Stone magazine...
- "Used To Be Bad" A completely ordinary blues duet between two old fogies: Paul McCartney & Steve Miller.
- "Absolutely Still" Better Than Ezra
- I liked "OK It's Alright With Me" the first few times I heard it, but Eric Hutchinson is starting to sound like a second rate Jamie Cullum or Maroon 5?
- "Phantom Limb" The Shins