January 13, 2009

I Attempt to Rank the Pixar Movies

I finally saw WALL•E on DVD last month, and I liked it very much. I also watched the enclosed documentary The Pixar Story. The doc inspired me to attempt the ridiculous and impossible: I decided to rank the nine Pixar feature films.
Ranking Pixar films from best to worst is like ranking honor students: they're all so much better than the rest of the class, it seems petty to say one is better than another. However, there are differences between them, and at the very least, this list might inspire some conversations and arguments!
  1. Ratatouille (2007) A+
    A complete success on all levels. An artistic, emotional, and comedic triumph.
  2. Finding Nemo (2003) A+
    Nemo has the biggest heart of all the Pixar movies.
  3. The Incredibles (2004) A+
    Not only is it a great superhero movie, but it's a great adventure/action movie too, and it's about family.
  4. Toy Story 2 (1999) A+
    One of the greatest sequels of all time.
  5. Monsters, Inc. (2001) AF unny, funny, funny.
  6. WALL•E (2008) A
    The first half of this movie is a masterpiece, and the second half is a rollicking good time. I wish I had seen it in the theater, but after the terrible crowd at the Ratatouille screening in 2007, I couldn't bring myself to go to the theater.
  7. Toy Story (1995) A
    A great movie and a great beginning.
  8. A Bug's Life (1998) B+
    There's nothing wrong with it, but all these years (and many Pixar movies) later, there's nothing exceptional about it either.
  9. Up (2009) B
    I liked it. I was a little distracted by my newborn son, but that's a tradeoff I can live with! The opening prologue is rightfully praised for its brilliance, but the script seemed a little rough and overcomplicated..
  10. Toy Story 3 (2010) B-minus
    They didn't really need to make another sequel. I'm sorry they did.
  11. Cars (2006) B
    An ill-executed labor of love for Pixar founder John Lasseter, Cars only appeals to baby boomers and small children. It left me cold, and confused.
  12. Brave (2012) C-plus
    The most old-fashioned and "Disneyfied" film.
  13. Cars 2 (2011) D
    Misguided, nonsensical, unfunny, and too morbid for kids.