February 15, 2008

In Bruges

The movies I've seen lately all fit into a couple of categories. I have seen a bunch of movies which are Important films nominated for Best Picture. I have seen movies which could charitably be called Old Fashioned Melodramas, but more accurately called Shameless Trophy Bait Which Your Grandmother Will Love; I have seen movies where some or all of the lead characters die, and you knew they were doomed from the moment the lights went down. When I was making Friday-After-Valentine's date plans for my wife and I, I wanted to go see a movie, but I was a little weary of this recent trend. I wanted a clever crime caper with funny violence, entertaining curses, and sharp dialog. Comedy at the expense of people's physical characteristics a plus. I got all that and more from In Bruges (pronounced BRoooSH).

inbrugesColin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are Irish hitmen, stuck in literal purgatory, hiding out in the best-preserved Medieval city in Belgium. It turns out that lots of people die at the end, but I knew that going in, and I didn't care if they all died, as long as I was entertained along the way. Colin Farrell can actually act, it turns out. Added bonus! Farrell became a "movie star" long before anyone actually cared about him. I had to review his filmography to find a good movie I had seen him in. The only movie he's made which I can recommend 100% is Minority Report, and that was five long years ago. In my mind, he's now starting to become someone who would persuade me to see a movie. (Landmark Kendall Cinema)

CASTING NOTE: In Bruges is a mini-reunion of Harry Potter And The Goblet of Fire: Brendan Gleeson (Mad-Eye Moody), Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort), playing a man named "Harry", and Clémence Poésy (Fleur Delacour).