November 27, 2007

Blade Runner: The Final Cut


Twenty-five years after its debut, and 15 years after his "Director's Cut", Ridley Scott has finally completed Blade Runner. I am a big fan of this movie. I was too young (10) to see the movie in the theater in 1982, but I taped it off TV when I was a teen and watched it many times. In 1992 I saw the Director's Cut at the old Nickelodeon (now closed): the Director's Cut removed the "happy" ending and the voiceover narration from the taped-from-TV version I had been watching for years. Around 1994 I bought the Director's Cut on laserdisc and watched it many more times over the last 13 years. It's one of my 10 favorite movies, but there are a bunch of revealing mistakes, continuity errors, and technical limitations which deserve fixing in a movie of this quality. Scott has finally found the money and the time to fix those problems, plus tweak some of the scenes for his artistic preference, and The Final Cut is the result.
Besides watching the taped-from-TV version and the Director's Cut many times, I also have read a lot about this movie. Even a super-fan like me found the Final Cut to be only a subtle artistic tweak of the Director's Cut, with a little smoothing of the rough edges thrown in. Anyone who only knows the film casually will only notice the lack of a voiceover narration, and the removal of the happier ending. (Coolidge Corner with my brother Jon)
Stub Hubby Reviews Ridley Scott