August 8, 2006

109: American Talk Show Rest Stop

The Cover: my wife and our friends looked sorta like a rock band in this photo I snapped on the street after seeing "The Daily Show" live in the summer of 2006. This visit also informed the title, based on the Phil Ayoub track "American Highway Rest Stop":
  1. A Life Of Illusion - the opening titles song from The Forty-Year-Old Virgin by Joe Walsh
  2. Just Pretend - The Bens (Folds, Lee, and I can't remember the third?)
  3. Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey Rae;
  4. Right Time,Wrong Place - Bonnie Raitt and BB King
  5. Hearts For Sale - The Rolling Stones (a song I nearly forgot from Steel Wheels)
  6. The Edge Of Forever - This Dream Academy song is from the soundtrack of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, when Ferris and Sloane say goodbye at the end of the day
  7. Break (A mashup of The Beastie Boys over Queen's "I Want To Break Free"
  8. Listen (A mashup of "Shake Your Rump", "Root Down", and "Radio Ga Ga"
  9. If You Talk Too Much - People In Planes (I saw this CD advertised in a TV commercial, of all places, and I liked this song. I bought the CD on sale at Target for $4.99)
  10. Closer To You - Liz Phair
  11. Sunday Morning - Maroon Five
  12. Day Tripper - The Beatles - with a false start included, and no fadeout
  13. Always The Last To Know - Del Amitri
  14. American Highway Rest Stop - My friend Robert is a fan of Phil Ayoub, so he came up to Cambridge from NYC to see Phil at a CD release party, and Robert invited me along.
  15. I Know There's Something Going On (I heard this song on the PA system at a restaurant, and I remembered the song but had no idea who it was. It sounded like Phil Collins on drums, and I was right- it's Frida, one of the ladies from ABBA, and her sole solo single hit)
  16. September - Earth Wind and Fire
  17. Sexx Laws - Beck
  18. Rockin' Down The Highway - The Doobie Brothers
  19. Point of Know Return - Kansas
  20. Feel Flows - The Beach Boys song from the closing credits of "Almost Famous"