January 3, 2005

Ray

rayPretty traditional biopic. Jamie Foxx is as good as anyone could ever be playing an icon. The musical sequences are fantastic. It turns out Ray Charles is a major ass- he openly carries on love affairs with his backup singers while leaving his wife and kids at home, his music is more important than any friendship in his life, he fires a longtime friend to save money, and he abuses heroin for twenty years. Despite all this, this movie is inevitable Oscar bait for three reasons: Charles has a physical disability, he's a drug addict, and he accomplishes great things anyways. I quote Get Shorty: "His best role was the crippled gay guy who climbed Mount Whitney." I also quote Bowfinger: "That's what I need, I need to play a retarded slave, then I'll get the Oscar!" (West Newton Cinema)