March 23, 2003

Mix 90: Ably Backed

I don't listen to this mix often, mainly because I made it for my then-girlfriend, shortly before we broke up. The good news is, we reunited six months later and are now married, but this mix, while perfectly OK, reminds me of a lousy period in our relationship.
The cover is an elaborate inside joke. My wife and I often quote our favorite movies, and I often get the quote mostly correct while my wife gets every quote right. This scene from the movie Singles was the first time I ever caught her in a misquote.
  1. "Overture"/"It's A Boy" - I included this Who song because it had been in a Claritin commercial recently.
  2. "It's Oh So Quiet" - Bjork
  3. "Too Much Passion" - The Smithereens
  4. "Waiting for Somebody" - Paul Westerberg
  5. "Go All The Way" - The Raspberries
  6. "Oh Sherrie" - Steve Perry
  7. "Lovely Rita" - The Beatles
  8. "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey" - I found this Kristen Hersh cover of the Beatles song on one of those free CDs they include with your purchase of UNCUT magazine.
  9. "Can't Cry Anymore" - Sheryl Crow
  10. "Take The Money and Run" - For some reason, the "whoo hoo" at the opening of this Steve Miller Band song always made my wife laugh.
  11. "The World (and all it's problems)" - John Wesley Harding
  12. "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" -I used to wish I was the deejay that plays songs between innings at Red Sox games, so when Manny Ramirez hit a dinger I could play this clever Chuck Berry classic: "2-3 the count with nobody on he hit a high fly into the stands. Rounding third he was heading for home! It was a brown-eyed handsome man that won the game, it was a brown-eyed handsome man..."
  13. "Jungle Boogie" - Kool & The Gang
  14. "Cat Handcuffs" - Steve Martin
  15. "All-Star" - Smash Mouth
  16. "Stay Up Late" - Talking Heads
  17. "Fa Fa" - Guster
  18. "Where You Get Love" - Matthew Sweet
  19. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - This Stevie Wonder classic had been recently featured on Six Feet Under.
  20. "Outta Site Outta Mind" - A live version of the Wilco song from a "Live At The Hard Rock Cafe" collection.
  21. "Swan Swan H" - A live and unplugged performance by R.E.M., and possibly the worst mix-ending song ever!