Beautiful, spellbinding, creepy.
March 30, 2003
Fresh Pond Cambridge)
March 25, 2003
Part of a Terry Gilliam series at the Brattle Theater. I noticed, this time, how well Terry Gilliam does making "big" movies on ZERO budget. However, I advise never see two Terry Gilliam movies in a row- my imagination hurts! Whimsy overload!
March 23, 2003
The title "Antipodean" celebrates not only the nationality of Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce, but the purpose of the CD- my wife was travelling to Australia for a wedding!
- Batman theme - I like the Style Council and Spandau Ballet, so I bought a CD from The Jam, but I could never get into them.
- (Don't Go Back To) Rockville - A cover of one of my favorite R.E.M. songs, a B-side from 10,000 Maniacs.
- Gone - A saw John Hiatt live and acoustic at the South Shore Music Circus the previous summer.
- True Fine Love - Steve Miller Band
- Dream a Little Dream - The Mamas and the Papas
- Electrical Storm - A U2 song I found for free on the Internet, but I never heard it again anywhere. Totally dropped off the face of the earth.
- Remedy - The Black Crowes
- Badlands - Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, live at Arizona State University, 11/5/1980
- The Bitch Is Back - Elton John
- Hanging on the Telephone - Blondie
- Need You Tonight - INXS
- The Magnificent Seven - The Clash
- "45" - I saw Elvis Costello & The Impostors on the tour to support this CD When I Was Cruel, 6/14/2002.
- Faces & Names - I saw Dave Pirner on tour to support this CD 8/5/2002.
- Annie Waits - I saw Ben Folds on tour to support this CD in the summer of 2002.
- Centerfold - J. Geils Band
- Everything In The World - Squeeze
- Lift Me Up - Jeff Lynne
- South City Midnight Lady - "Goddamnit, The Doobie Brothers broke up! When did that happen?"
- One Sweet World (live 1993) - Dave Matthews Band
The cover is an elaborate inside joke. My wife and I often quote our favorite movies, and I often get the quote mostly correct while my wife gets every quote right. This scene from the movie Singles was the first time I ever caught her in a misquote.
- "Overture"/"It's A Boy" - I included this Who song because it had been in a Claritin commercial recently.
- "It's Oh So Quiet" - Bjork
- "Too Much Passion" - The Smithereens
- "Waiting for Somebody" - Paul Westerberg
- "Go All The Way" - The Raspberries
- "Oh Sherrie" - Steve Perry
- "Lovely Rita" - The Beatles
- "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey" - I found this Kristen Hersh cover of the Beatles song on one of those free CDs they include with your purchase of UNCUT magazine.
- "Can't Cry Anymore" - Sheryl Crow
- "Take The Money and Run" - For some reason, the "whoo hoo" at the opening of this Steve Miller Band song always made my wife laugh.
- "The World (and all it's problems)" - John Wesley Harding
- "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" -I used to wish I was the deejay that plays songs between innings at Red Sox games, so when Manny Ramirez hit a dinger I could play this clever Chuck Berry classic: "2-3 the count with nobody on he hit a high fly into the stands. Rounding third he was heading for home! It was a brown-eyed handsome man that won the game, it was a brown-eyed handsome man..."
- "Jungle Boogie" - Kool & The Gang
- "Cat Handcuffs" - Steve Martin
- "All-Star" - Smash Mouth
- "Stay Up Late" - Talking Heads
- "Fa Fa" - Guster
- "Where You Get Love" - Matthew Sweet
- "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - This Stevie Wonder classic had been recently featured on Six Feet Under.
- "Outta Site Outta Mind" - A live version of the Wilco song from a "Live At The Hard Rock Cafe" collection.
- "Swan Swan H" - A live and unplugged performance by R.E.M., and possibly the worst mix-ending song ever!