November 18, 2001

Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone

harryA punishingly literal and faithful staging of the entire contents of the first Harry Potter novel. Dan talked me into seeing this movie with him and Beth, although I had not read the book. We then spent our post-movie dinner arguing over how boring I found the movie. (Showcase Cinemas Lawrence)

EPILOGUE: I recently watched the second half of this movie on TV, and I yearn to make a Personalized Cut of the movie which knocks out 10-20 minutes of unnecessary crap. For example, when Harry catches the Snitch in his first Quiddich game, it takes at least 30 seconds from the moment he catches the Snitch before the scene ends. If this scene were in one of the sequels, like Prisoner of Azkaban or Goblet of Fire, the scene would have been over a millisecond after Harry touched the Snitch. Or, even better, the scene would be gone completely!