June 30, 2001
June 23, 2001
June 15, 2001
Like an Indiana Jones film, but it takes itself too seriously. To play the computer game character, who has ludicrously oversized, gravity-defying, unnaturally spherical breasts, Angelina Jolie's boobs are artificially boosted- not as ludicrous as the real Lara Croft, but in the same boobular spirit as the videogame character.
June 11, 2001
- They Might Be Giants "Extra Savoir Faire"
- The Beatles "Honey Pie"
- Sting "Nice Work If You Can Get It"
- Barenaked Ladies "Hello City"
- Joe Jackson "Jumpin Jive"
- Pete Townshend "Face the Face"
- Brian Setzer Orchestra "Jump, Jive and Wail"
- Sheena Easton "Strut"
- The Rolling Stones "She's A Rainbow"
- Joan Osbourne "St. Teresa"
- Traveling Wilburys "Heading for the Light"
- John Wesley Harding "The Person You Are"
- Edie Brickell & New Bohemians "Love Like We Do"
- The Replacements "Kiss Me On The Bus"
- Wilco "Box Full of Letters"
- Jon Svetkey "Dead End Streets"
- Bruce Hornsby & The Range "The Valley Road"
- Warren Zevon "Excitable Boy"
- The Small Faces "Stay With Me"
- "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" --> "Jack Ass" The Beck song samples the Van Morrison song, so I cross-faded them together.
June 7, 2001
Not bad, but not wonderful either: Pierce Brosnan does the flipside of James Bond, to comedic effect, much like he would later in The Matador. Jamie Lee Curtis still looks great. I may have been hallucinating when I saw Brendan Gleeson playing a Panamanian?
June 2, 2001
The title Unusual Suspects refers to my effort to populate this mix with artists I don't normally (or ever) include in mixes. The cover features singer Tracy Bonham. I had to do a major edit to Track 10, "Midnight Voyage", because the song, as featured on my Sixteen Greatest Hits CD, includes an extended breakdown in the middle, where the singers work out the harmonies. Track 12, "Chinese Firedrill", is from an odd solo CD from Minutemen lead singer Mike Watt: Ball-Hog or Tugboat? is like a "Mike's friends who are Alt-Rock Stars" variety show:
These included fellow SST Records alumni like former Black Flag vocalist Henry Rollins, members of Sonic Youth, Curt and Cris Kirkwood of the Meat Puppets, Dinosaur Jr's J Mascis, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, Nirvana's Pat Smear, Krist Novoselic, and Dave Grohl, Jane's Addiction and Porno for Pyros drummer Stephen Perkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers's Flea, Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner, former Pixies singer Frank Black, The Lemonheads frontman Evan Dando, and Mike D and Adam Horowitz of the Beastie Boys.
- Sinead O'Connor: The Emperor's New Clothes
- Tracy Bonham: Second Wind
- Pearl Jam: Nothingman
- Dire Straits: I included "Brothers In Arms" due to it's inclusion in the West Wing TV show season finale.
- The Smiths: Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
- Nick Drake: Cello Song
- Caetano Veloso: O Leaozinho
- Ben Folds Five: Selfless, Cold, and Composed
- Extreme: More Than Words
- The Mamas & Papas: Midnight Voyage 
- World Party: Is It Like Today?
- Mike Watt featuring Frank Black: Chinese Firedrill
- Prince: 4 The Tears In Your Eyes
- Duran Duran: Save A Prayer
- Hall & Oates: One on One
- Oasis: Champagne Supernova
- The Black Crowes: Thorn In My Pride
June 1, 2001
It's joyous to watch characters use the entire breadth of popular music to express themselves: there are no borders between "The Sound of Music" and "Your Song" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" here. I did find it kind of silly that Nicole Kidman has tuberculosis, a terrible respitory illness, yet the only symptom she suffered was an occasional discreet bloody cough into a hanky. (AMC Fenway)