March 1, 2001

062 In Another Life

I really admire this mix for the breadth of rock, pop, and R&B styles and eras represented. Somehow this mix is more diverse than most, and it works great.
  1. "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" Sometimes U2 manages to get out of their own way and just make a good song.
  2. "Tracks of My Tears" Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
  3. "Good Times Roll" The Cars
  4. "Badge" Cream. "Yes I told you that the light goes up and down, don't you notice how the wheel goes round?"
  5. "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town" [acoustic b-side] Pearl Jam
  6. "Babylon" David Gray. This is one of these songs I heard the first day it was on the radio, and I knew immediately it was going to be a big hit.
  7. "Secret Garden" (strings version) In 1996, Bruce Springsteen released a VHS documentary Blood Brothers about reuniting the E Street Band to record new songs which accompanied his 1995 Greatest Hits CD. Bundled with the VHS tape was a 5-track CD featuring unused songs and remixes. I bought this bundle from Bull Moose Music in Portland, Maine, mostly for the CD, but the documentary was interesting too.
  8. "Close To Me" The Cure
  9. "How Am I Different?" Aimee Mann. "Just one question before I pack: When you fuck it up later do I get my money back?"
  10. "In Another Life" XTC. "I'll be your Burton if you'll be my Liz/And there might be flying pigs, In another life..."
  11. "No Myth" Michael Penn. "What if I was Romeo in black jeans, what if I was Heathcliff, it's no myth..."
  12. "You Are The Everything" (live) R.E.M. released the four singles from the Out Of Time album as a four disc CD box set. All the "b-sides" from the four singles formed a live recording from the Green World Tour 1989. I shudder to think how much I might have spent on this set. CD Single Box Sets seem like total insanity now: four CDs, each in its own jewel case, each holding a few songs, when, in reality, you could fit all 16 songs on one CD. Of course, in 1991, the record company could name their price for this madness.
  13. "Road to Nowhere" Talking Heads
  14. "Suddenly Last Summer" The Motels
  15. "There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)" Eurythmics
  16. "Whenever You're On My Mind" Marshall Crenshaw.
  17. "If I Can't Change Your Mind" Sugar.
  18. "Can't Find My Way Home" A cover of the Blind Faith song by Alana Davis.