July 3, 1996

Independence Day

independenceI fell upon the last hour of ID4 on HBO the other day, so my wife and I watched some of it, and fast-forwarded through the unwatchable parts. What I noticed while watching it for the first time in eleven years is how truly terrible it is. Ugh! The action is boring, the science fiction is non-existent, the whole cast wishes they didn't have to be there- with the possible exception of Randy Quaid, who looks like he's having a great time. We both love Bill Pullman, but Emily kept quoting his plastic surgeon character from Singles ("I'm thirty... five years old, and I don't know how to have a good time!") and I always think of him in Ruthless People ("This may very well be the stupidest man on the face of the Earth.") Jeff Goldblum and Judd Hirsch conduct a intergenerational Bad Acting clinic. And the coup de grace: Goldblum defeats an alien invasion with a software virus he uploads to their computer. Why not just get them to install Windows 95 and wait for the Blue Screen of Death?

I am leaving the never again tag on this post because I only saw parts of the last hour on HBO. I have not seen the whole thing twice, and God help me, I never will.