June 13, 1993

Casablanca

Since this was part of WBZ-TV's Free Friday Flicks movie series, I don't have a stub. Because it was over a decade ago, I don't recall which summer it was. But I did see Casablanca on the Esplenade one summer. It was probably the summer of 1993, but it might have been 1994. I was supposed to meet up with my friend Craig and his girlfriend, but they arrived after the movie started, and in that pre-cellphone era, there was no way to find each other in the dark.

After this feature, I did not attend the Free Friday Flicks again until 2005. There are several reasons for this. First of all, in 1993, I moved from Beacon Hill to Davis Square, so it would no longer be convenient to visit the Esplenade. Secondly, WBZ does not advertise these free flicks, so it's very hard to learn their upcoming schedule. And thirdly, the movies they do show tend to be family-friendly fare, which is not always my interest.